Wednesday 10 March 2021

In Conversation ... with Allison Paterson

 

In Conversation with 
Allison Paterson – Children’s Author


This "In Conversation" has been organised in conjunction with Books On Tour PR & Marketing 
as a part of the Australia Remembers 2 campaign.



Tell us about your most recent publication. 

Australia Remembers: Customs and Traditions of the Australian Defence Force is the second book in a series that focuses on Australian military history specifically written for children aged 6–12 years.

With detailed explanations of the origins of the many colourful customs and traditions visible on our most significant days of commemoration – Anzac Day and Remembrance Day, Customs and Traditions of the Australian Defence Force explores the symbolism and the significance of such rituals in the lives of those Australians who have fought for their country and those who keep us safe today.

Described in language that is easily accessible to younger readers, the history behind what is visible on commemorative occasions is explored, while delving into the unusual and those not always seen - mottoes, mascots and music. Full colour images support the facts and narrative, along with activities, questions and breakout boxes which ensure an engaging read for young readers.
Published By Big Sky Publishing


What do you enjoy most about being a writer?

I enjoy the freedom to be creative and to share stories that may otherwise be lost over time. It’s a rewarding way to contribute and connect children with the past. Inspiring children to write and persevere with their own dreams also rates as one of the most enjoyable and important things I do.

What is the hardest aspect of being a writer?

Sitting! Staying at my desk can be very hard, but it’s a small price to pay!



Writers are sometimes influenced by things that happen in their own lives. Are you?

Absolutely! My picture books Granny’s Place and Shearing Time are about my life growing up as a child. My next picture book called I Wonder which will be released in August this year was inspired by an early morning walk on the beach and seeing council workers having to clean up rubbish left behind by other people. My first two non-fiction books, Anzac Sons and its children’s version are all about my family, and I’ve managed to sneak aspects of my ancestor’s war service into the Australia Remembers series as well.

How much research goes into your story/book?

Oh my goodness, so much hunting and fact checking! The Australia Remembers series involves a lot of research, both in terms of text and images. Custom and Traditions of the Australian Defence Force required lots of liaison with the ADF and also the media and history units of the Navy, Army and RAAF. The Primary source of information was Preserving Our Proud Heritage (Big Sky Publishing) along with the online resources of the Australian War Memorial and the Australian Defence Force. I plucked specific points of interest for schools from this title and simplified the language for children. Many people assisted me, including service personnel and military historians. Photos were collected from various source, including images I took from various museums across Australia. There were so many approvals that needed to be sought regarding images, and the final manuscript as well.


Top tip/s for writers?

Self-doubt leads to procrastination and truly stifles creativity. Don’t let it master you – sets goals and celebrate successes, believe in your work, surround yourself by people who believe in you and write your words, let them flow. I’ve also learnt to find the gaps in the market and target those, I look carefully at the curriculum and I’m very clear about my audience!

Other than writing, what else do you love? 

I love reading and research, swimming, walks on the beach and spending time with my family. I’m an avid reader of historical fiction and I love to travel and explore new places. I’ll always gravitate towards a museum!


How can we learn more about you? 


  
  




Thank you for joining In Conversation this week. Remember to always 
Dream Big ... Read Often.

No comments:

Post a Comment