Wednesday 17 March 2021

In Conversation ... with Tabitha J Page

In Conversation with 
Tabitha J Page – Children’s Author



Tell us about your most recent publication. 

Firstly, thank you so much for having me.

I have four children’s books out in the world and my newest book, titled ‘I’m a Type One Kid’ was officially launched in February, 2021

‘I’m a Type One Kid’ is an illustrated book, which follows part of the journey that young Tina Thomas goes on when she begins to feel unwell and is diagnosed with Type One Diabetes. It then takes us through her everyday life with the condition and the feelings that some children go through after they are diagnosed. The story is told by the character, Tina and I think it is going to be a fabulous tool for any newly diagnosed child, their siblings, classmates and friends.

Shop Here!

What do you enjoy most about being a writer?

I write to support, empower and uplift those who read my books. I write about characters with a disability or long-term illness (four of my five books feature these characters). Why? I write these subjects because there are so many people who have these challenges, some visible and some not, and I want them to know that they are not alone. My most enjoyable moments are those when I hear that I have succeeded in this, that there is a child who I have helped to feel less alone. I always love these messages and emails.

What is the hardest aspect of being a writer?

I live with Chronic illness/autoimmune disease, so for me the hardest part of writing and of doing anything productive, is that I never know when I will have a high pain day or a flare day. I cannot plan anything in advance and can go weeks without being able to write a word. It messes with my ‘flow’ and getting into a rhythm. I also struggle with motivation when I have had a break due to health. It is awfully hard to get back into it again.

That aside, I think a lot of people struggle with rejection. Sometimes it is submitting to traditional publishers and getting many rejections back. Sometimes it is deciding to self-publish, when doing this, it is difficult if not impossible to get into bookstores.

There is also a feeling among non-writers (I have heard it myself) that if you self-publish, the work was not ‘good enough’ which is why the traditional publishers passed it up. Writers know that this is not always true. There are many reasons why you might not be picked up by traditional publishers.

Writers are sometimes influenced by things that happen in their own lives. Are you?

Absolutely, that is the whole reason I write the books and characters that I do.

I write about my own experiences with life, with health and with challenges I have experienced (my own or those close to me).

Have you ever had a fan moment and met somebody famous? Tell us about it.

I have met a few, but as we are talking about books and writing…. I have met John Marsden a few times and loved every second of it. When he does author talks locally, I make sure to attend. The last time I attended a talk by John Marsden, I was a week out from my first offline book launch and was so anxious that no one would show up. I was afraid I would look silly and be embarrassed.

My friend who attended with me told John that my launch was a week away and that I was panicking (cheers for that ha-ha). John was amazing and told me of a time when he was starting out, that he had a book signing in a bookstore and no one showed up. He told me a few other things, which I will not mention here, but I left feeling so much more confident and happier. It was a great pep talk.

Do you have any writing rituals you can share?

I must write in the same place. If I have to change my writing space, I struggle. The local café where I would go daily and write closed last year and try as I might, I could not concentrate to write anywhere else. I got used to writing at home, but it took a long time.

The other one is that I have a particular set of pens that I use. Luckily for me, I can get cheap refills for them (thanks, Officeworks 😊)

What writing resources would you recommend? 

My number one would be The Duck Pond, which is a Facebook Kid lit creators’ group. It is a subscription group, but it is worth the money. For a subscription, you get masterclasses and so much more. I did a zoom workshop run by Leigh Hobbs a few days ago and it was worth the whole subscription on its own. I highly recommend (and do often) the wonderful and supportive Duck Pond to all.

I also recommend Creative Kids Tales and the Kid Lit Vic conference in Melbourne. These are both amazing resources as well.

How can we learn more about you? 


   


  


Thank you for joining In Conversation this week. Remember to always 
Dream Big ... Read Often.

No comments:

Post a Comment