Wednesday 18 August 2021

In Conversation ... with Nancy Bevington

       

In Conversation with 
Nancy Bevington



This "In Conversation" has been organised in conjunction with 
as a part of the I Wonder campaign.


Tell us about your most recent publication. 

Hi, I'm Nancy Bevington, the illustrator for I Wonder, the fabulous children’s book. I absolutely adored working on this project: Allison Paterson’s story is captivating and well told, and my head was buzzing with ideas from the moment I read it. Although essentially a story about recycling, it is also so much more than that: a sad and happy tale of loss, love, the end of a journey and rebirth. Allison is a hugely talented author, and Big Sky Publishing is an innovative, caring and professional publisher.
Published by BIG SKY PUBLISHING





What do you enjoy most about being an illustrator?

Where to start! From a very young age I enjoyed drawing, so for me this is just the best occupation in the world. I love the challenge of taking a brief or in the case of publishing, a story, and creating illustrations that visually bring the written word to life. Also, it is always exciting and fulfilling to work with authors, publishers and other creative souls.

What is the hardest aspect about being an illustrator?

Time. There are so many wonderful projects out there to work on, but to make sure everything you do meets the high standards you set for yourself, your clients and your authors, you must limit the amount of work you take on.

How much research goes into your illustrations?

Quite a lot of time goes into researching every aspect of a story. It could be the year in which the story is set, its geographic location, the season, the people, the animals. The style and technique chosen for a particular project will then determine how I use what I have found. For example, if I’m working on a very realistic rendering, it is important to look for detail, if the style is simple, it is more important to give a feel for the setting etc.

What is the most surprising thing about illustrating/publishing you have learnt?

That there are so many ways to tell a story.

Other than illustrating, what else do you love?

Being with friends and family, laughter, cooking, gardening, walking by the sea and in the countryside and now my little dog who entered my life only four days ago and seems have been with me forever.

If you had a premonition you would be stranded on a desert island, what five books would you take with you?

I would hope the island had Wi-Fi, so I could access my library as there are too many to mention!


How can we learn more about you? 

     

FREE BOOK GIVEAWAY!
 

    
Thank you for joining In Conversation this week. Remember to always 
Dream Big ... Read Often.

No comments:

Post a Comment