Wednesday 11 August 2021

In Conversation ... with Karen Hendriks

   

In Conversation with 
Karen Hendriks


Tell us about your most recent publication. 

Home is my new picture book, illustrated by Alisa Knatko and published by Daisy Lane Publishing.

War ends, yet its dark shadow remains. A family is forced to flee their home. As they journey through hunger, long cold nights, and homelessness, a heart locket whispers words of hope. And a country that’s far away, calls for those that are no longer wanted. It offers new beginnings and a precious place, once more to call home.

Published by DAISY LANE PUBLISHING

Available at BOOK DEPOSITORY




Other than writing, what else do you love?

I adore travelling and exploring and being near the sea. Now that we are in Covid times I appreciate Australia so much more. I absolutely love going out for dinner or to see live music. My heart belongs to my family and friends. Nature and animals make me happy.

Do you have any writing rituals you can share?

I need to pull my socks up here. I seem to have lost my ritual at the moment and so the flow has gone. But each day I do find time to spend in story. My focus at the moment has been on editing and I have been doing some research for an idea that keeps calling me. The hard part is getting started on the journey of bringing this one to life. I often think a lot about my writing in my head.

What is the craziest thing you have done?

I am quite impulsive and curious so it has led to some crazy adventures. Like the time I decided to have a Turkish steam bath. I was as a pink as a lobster after being scrubbed with the prickly brush. Being massaged by a blind girl who seemed to think massage was slapping and pinching me. I was too scared to say anything. When she went out of the room I jumped up ready to escape and she came back and told me to get back on the bed. Omg, all I wanted to do was run. I’ve jumped into the sea to swim with manta rays and climbed a scary mountain with no training and ended up outside a police station in Cuba. There’s more but that’s enough for now.

Writer's are sometimes influenced by things that happen in their own lives? Are you?

Most definitely, Home is influenced by my family heritage. Your own life is part of your fabric and so your voice does have tunes of you inside your words.

What is the most surprising thing about writing/publishing you have learnt? 

Your writing spirit is your unique voice. Don’t be discouraged, keep going your voice deserves to be heard. Writing brings you the most wonderful and unexpected friendships that enrich your life immensely.

If you had a premonition you would be stranded on a desert island, what favourite books would you take?

Now this is tricky. I would take an imaginary book filled with never ending stories. That way I would have a new story each day. My picture books, Go Away, Foxy Foxy, Feathers and Home because they fill me with so much joy. And last but not least, The Happiest Man on Earth by Eddie Jaku. Then I would be reminded how blessed I am and that everything is determined by perception. I would choose happy each day.

How can we learn more about you? 

     
  


    
Thank you for joining In Conversation this week. Remember to always 
Dream Big ... Read Often.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the chance to share and for being interviewed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the opportunity to give a voice to Home.

    ReplyDelete