All around Australia there are celebrations happening all over the long weekend to celebrate this national day. Fireworks, BBQ's, swim at the beach, family days - it's happening everywhere!
I love celebrating this public holiday because I am thankful for this beautiful, amazing, diverse country I live in. I appreciate the way of life we get to live here. I am grateful for the privileges and opportunities my children will get to have just because they are citizens here. I believe this day is a day worth celebrating.
So to help you appreciate Australia a little bit more, here are some weird and wonderful facts.
- Over 85% of people live within 50km's of the coast.
- Australia is the 6th largest country.
- Kangaroo's and Emu's cannot walk backwards.
- The longest fence in the world is found here. Over 5,500 kms long!
- Australia has 10 out of the 15 most poisonous snakes in the world.
- There are close to one million camels roaming the outback.
- A single cattle ranch in S.A is bigger than Israel.
- The wine cask is an Australian invention.