Wednesday 24 February 2021

In Conversation ... with Grace Nolan

            


In Conversation with 
Grace Nolan – Children’s Author




This "In Conversation" has been organised in conjunction with Books On Tour PR & Marketing 
as a part of the Ten Naughty Numbats campaign.


Tell us about your most recent publication. 

Ten Naughty Numbats - a learning to count to ten book featuring Australian animals. It is Book 1 of the “One to Ten and Back Again” series and published through Big Sky Publishing




Book 2 is 10 Bush Babies which introduces the concept of addition


Book 3 is 10 Lively Lorikeets which introduces subtraction.


Books 2 and 3 are due for release on the 7th of April 2021 through Big Sky Publishing.






Interview with Grace Nolan.


What do you enjoy most about being a writer?

One of the things I enjoy most about being a writer is getting an idea, feeling the joy and amazement of that first spark of inspiration and having the freedom to see where it takes me.

Writers are sometimes influenced by things that happen in their own lives. Are you?

Yes, all the time. All of my life experience comes into what I write and then the day-to-day things that happen to me and to those around me and what they say, continually spark ideas in my imagination. I might look at a soft toy or see someone walking past and straight away a story or poem starts to form in my mind or the whole thing might just appear in a flash. 

What is the most surprising thing about writing/publishing that you have learnt? 

One surprising thing I have learnt about writing is that it doesn’t always have to be public: I can write just because I love writing and I don’t have to worry about whether anyone else will ever see it. It’s taken me a long time to accept that I am a writer. I know that I am because I have always written stories, songs and poems ever since I can remember and continued to do that no matter what else has been going on in my life and whether anyone else rejected them, liked them or even saw them.


Top tips for writers? 

One tip for writers is to write about things you know and that you’re interested in – things you are passionate about and want to share. This way your words come naturally; if you try to force it, your writing will sound stilted and contrived.

Other than writing, what else do you love?

I love reading and always have. I’m interested in all sorts of books but I mostly love reading children’s books old and new.


Do you have any writing rituals you can share?


I write with pencil on paper to start with – I find it the friendliest and most comfortable and familiar medium. I use a soft, dark pencil and white, unlined paper. I find lined paper too restrictive for me. I like to be free to write how and where I want to on the page and I usually start in the middle or some of the way down so that I allow space either side for other parts of the story that might introduce themselves.

How can we learn more about you? 

Check out Grace's social networks below!


    


Thank you for joining In Conversation this week. Remember to always 
Dream Big ... Read Often.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Melissa for including my YouTube interview with Grace Nolan.
    Hop over to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mcUX4CmnUk to WIN a signed copy of 10 Naughty Numbats.
    Warmly,
    Karen Tyrrell author

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great interview. I'll make note of the win a signed copy of the book on my blog post tomorrow. Thanks Melissa and Karen.

    ReplyDelete