Saturday 24 August 2013

Truth Be Told: Adam becomes Audrey By Alexandra Bogdanovic



 
Truth Be Told: Adam Becomes Audrey is a tragedy, a comedy and a love story. It is Alexandra's story. In vivid detail, she recalls how she met, fell in love with and married the man of her dreams, only to find that he self-identified as and wanted to become a woman. Read Truth Be Told: Adam becomes Audrey, to find out what happened after she learned the truth.

Tell us a little about your writing journey.
I pretty much knew I wanted to be a reporter by age 12 and started covering high school sports for a daily newspaper as a high school freshman. I had the privilege of being mentored by some great sports writers and by the time I graduated from high school I’d gone from writing small blurbs that just listed the game results to writing full game and feature stories.  I honed those skills during a yearlong college internship at the same newspaper. My career officially began soon after I graduated from Manhattanville College in 1991, and I since devoted more than 20 years to community journalism.

Although my newspaper career ended recently, my journey as an author is just beginning. My memoir, “Truth Be Told: Adam Becomes Audrey” was published in August 2012 and is now available on amazon.com and through other major online book outlets. In it, I share how I met, fell in love with and married the man of my dreams only to find out that he self-identified as and planned on having gender reassignment surgery to become a woman. I also share what happened after I learned the truth.

So far the reaction has been fairly positive, but since I’m not one to rest on my laurels, I’m already getting started on my next book!

What do you enjoy most about being a writer?
That’s a good question. I love the juxtaposition of structure and freedom. In journalism, for example, there are universal rules regarding story structure. But the rules are so flexible that each writer can work within them in order to tell the story in their own voice. There is tremendous room for creativity.
The same can be said of writing a book. There are proven techniques for plot and character development, but there are no rules dictating that everyone must employ those techniques in the exact same way.

Aside from that, I’d say I love being able to write about things that affect and resonate with all of us – like love, loss, betrayal and resiliency.

What is the hardest aspect of writing?
The hardest thing for me was telling my own story! You can become invested in a story when you are writing about someone else or writing about fictional characters, but I think it is easier to keep a healthy perspective. You can take a step back and say, “Is this over the top?” or “Do I need to strengthen this aspect of the story?” It’s much more difficult to do that when you are writing about your own life.

Writers are sometimes influenced by things that happen in their own lives. Are you?
Definitely. In fact, my first book, a memoir is entirely based on my own experience.  My second book will be a novel based on my dad’s life, which is also fitting since so many of his experiences clearly shaped my life as well.

Tell us about your awards/publications if any?
As a journalist I won 10 Virginia Press Association awards and one New York Press Association award. Independent judges bestowed these honors for news and feature articles submitted for consideration in numerous categories including but not limited to “Feature Writing Portfolio,” “Breaking News,” “Spot News” and “Public Safety Writing.”
To date, I have not submitted “Truth Be Told: Adam Becomes Audrey” for consideration for any awards.

What is the most surprising thing about being published you have learnt?
I’ve learned there’s a fine line between self-promotion and self-exploitation.

Do you have any tips for new writers?
Never forget that no matter how talented you are writing is hard work, and for most of us it is a labor of love; only few of us get rich or become famous doing this. Don’t take criticism to heart – it comes with the territory. In this age of self-publishing, anyone can write a book, but relatively few can do it well. Finally, don’t be afraid to stand up for yourself. No one else will.

What are you working on at the moment?
I am just starting the research for my second book, which will be based on my father’s life as a staunch anti-Communist and political refugee in post-World War II Europe.

Other than writing, what else do you love?
I love photography, America, New York City, the New York Yankees and the New York Giants. I also love my family, friends and Eli (my cat)! Then there’s power walking, horseback riding, horse sports (especially high goal polo) and traveling. I’m a huge fan of the Deadliest Catch and just about all of the programs on the American TV channels HGTV and Investigation Discovery!

Who is your favourite author and why?
J.K Rowling. I’ve read all of the Harry Potter books at least once – and every time I re-read them I discover something different.  The writing is impeccable. Taken at face value the stories are wonderfully entertaining, but there are also a lot of underlying themes. I think that’s why the books have so much cross-generational appeal.

If you had a premonition you would be stranded ona desert island, name 5 books you would take with you.
Lord of the Flies, Mutiny on the Bounty, The Swiss Family Robinson, Captains Courageous, and Moby Dick. Obviously I have a warped sense of humor.

What five words best sum you up?
Tough, assertive, passionate, loyal and opinionated!

How can we learn more?



 Thanks Alexandra and good luck!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment