Wednesday 7 April 2021

In Conversation ... with Mistie Dal Molin

 

In Conversation with 
Mistie Dal Molin



Tell us about your most recent publication. 


Rainbows from Poppy encourages important conversations, for children aged 3-7. It is a heart-warming, true story about my unforgettable Dad. This book explores the promise he made to our family before he died. The beautiful, watercolor illustrations ensure even the youngest readers will find solace during a difficult and confusing time.

It’s a valuable grief resource for parents, teachers, hospice staff and funeral directors and is available from Amazon, Book Depository and Booktopia.

You’ll find free resources, teacher notes and activity sheets on my website: There is an about me page there, and a contact form to book school visits or just say hello! I love reading your emails.



Top tip/s for writers?

  • Read. Read a variety of books, not just the genre you write for.
  • Be patient.
  • Be consistent.
  • Write what you know or write from the heart.
  • Learn from others. Writers have a wealth of knowledge to share. The best authors have had their fair share of rejection and heartache. Learn from them. This is one of the reasons I love the kid lit industry so much - everyone is willing to help and support and share their wisdom and tips.
It’s really hard some days – know this and don’t give up!

What is the hardest aspect of being a writer?

Finding the alone time, especially as a Mum. Trying to squeeze quiet time in between all the awesome craziness that is life. Family admin, work, friends, sports … it can be hectic and quiet writing moments are few and far between. I really have to plan and schedule the dedicated time in and make it a priority, otherwise… LIFE HAPPENS!


Other than writing, what else do you love?

My girlfriends. We call or message each other anytime for anything. I’d be lost without them.

My beautiful golden retriever.

Vinegar on hot chips.

Chocolate.

Travelling

Serial Killer documentaries. I can’t help it. I love watching but then I get scared so I back them up with Disney movies.


Do you have a favourite character from your stories?

Definitely ‘Rocky’, my son in from Rainbows from Poppy. I wrote this book for him. His little personality comes through in their pictures and it was such an awesome process from start to finish. As a family, this was so special to watch unfold from the first roughs, to final book in hands. I just love seeing him as an illustration.


Five words that sum you up?

1. Family

2. Caring

3. Passionate

4. Happy

5. Dedicated



What writing resources would you recommend? 

I definitely recommend reading:

See Me Jump by Jen Storer and

On Writing by Stephen King.

I am loving the Girl and Duck world - the picture book course is fantastic.

Also, Creative Kids Tales and Georgie Donaghy’s ‘Invest The Write Way’ course, SCBWI, the Australian Writers Centre.

I also recommend following your favourite bloggers, authors and illustrators on social media. Subscribe to their newsletters to find out about their latest news and publications. Read their posts and comment - they write them for you!


How can we learn more about you? 


   

   



  
Thank you for joining In Conversation this week. Remember to always 
Dream Big ... Read Often.

No comments:

Post a Comment