Thursday 26 September 2019

Never too old for Picture Story Books!






In 2017 I graduated from completing a Master of Education by research. I have always loved picture story books and think they are one of the most valuable tools in education. Recently I was thrilled to see some research from my Master of Education study published! Did you know that 38% of Foundation to Grade 6 teachers are using picture story books daily?

Traditionally, the use of a Picture Story Book (PSB) was intended for three- to seven-year-olds as a stepping stone towards literacy development and understanding (Salisbury & Styles 2012), with topics and themes covered appropriate for a younger audience.

However, recent years have seen changes in PSBs by addressing topics such as violence, human rights and grief with children. These kinds of changes have made the PSB also appropriate for older audiences (Martinez & Harmon, 2012).

Follow the link to learn more about the findings of my small-scale research project investigating how primary teachers use picture story books and how it has influenced my own classroom practice.







No comments:

Post a Comment