Tuesday 2 December 2014

In Conversation with Dianne (Di) Bates.




 

Today I am thrilled to welcome back to the blog the hardworking and dedicated Di Bates. Today she will share some of her writing journey.
 
Don't forget to check her founding Ezine Buzz Words. A MUST HAVE bi-monthly subscription for any kind of writer.


Tell us a little about your writing journey.
I’ve been writing for 30+ years and have made a full-time living, mostly as a children’s author, for the past decade. My husband, Bill Condon, is an award-winning YA author. I started writing when I was seconded from teaching onto a state-wide children’s magazine.

What do you enjoy most about being a writer?
I love the lifestyle, not having a boss, being able to work from home, getting manuscripts accepted for publication.


What is the hardest aspect of being a writer?
Not having many people caring about the fact that I’m a writer, even relatives and friends not interested in reading my books.

Writers are sometimes influenced by things that happen in their own lives. Are you?
I draw a lot on life experiences and children I’ve known to create story.

Tell us about your publications?
I’ve published 120+ books mostly for young readers; this includes three YA novels and one picture book. The rest of my books are junior fiction and non-fiction. Latest books are A Game of Keeps, Nobody’s Boy and The Girl in the Basement.


What is the most surprising thing about writing/publishing you have learnt?
Most big publishers are inefficient and uncommunicative, smaller publishers are easiest to work with.

Top tip/s for writers.
Write every day, be in it for the long haul, be persistent, study markets, network.

Other than writing what else do you love?
My husband Bill, my home, reading

What would your dream location for writing be?
At home in front of my desk computer
 
Five words that sum you up.
Tenacious, hard-working, motivated, astute, sensitive
 
How can we learn more?

I am the founding (and current) editor of Buzz Words, a twice monthly subscription-based magazine in Australia for people in the children’s book industry.
I have two other blogs, one of which is Australian Children’s Poets, the other is Writing for Children.




BUZZ WORDS - $48 p.a for 23 issues - bargain!
A great Christmas gift for  a writer ...
 
 
 
 
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment