Friday 9 May 2014

Flash Fiction Friday

SURREAL by Chris Sorensen

I am fairly certain mirrors are supposed to reflect reality.  But mine must be broken.  It’s been broken for a while now.  Every morning I see the same thing – fiction, fantasy, pretend…whatever you want to call it.  I haven’t seen anything resembling reality since…

“Hurry up,” comes the loud voice through the speaker above me.

I close my eyes to try and find some peace – anything resembling peace – but it never comes.

I turn, looking over my shoulder, right into the camera on the wall.  It stares back, lifeless.

Cold.

One day, I will know the truth.

One day, I will fight back.

One day, it will all make sense…
again.

“Thirty seconds,” the voice says, impatient.

I reach my hand – or what used to be my hand – to the side of the mirror.  My metal finger presses the button on the wall, which starts to blink.  I take a step closer onto the round, painted circle on the floor, closing my eyes.  I think my eyes are real.  They told me they are real.

A tiny beeping begins and I feel the pinchers (what I call them) coming in around me, wrapping and covering, pulling and twisting, all at lightning speed.  I forget where I am for a moment, trying to remember the time I was not inhuman, when I did not need some type of skin to feel human.

Beep-beep.

I open my eyes and see me, or what’s supposed to be me.  Maybe the only reason I give in and don’t fight – why I let them do this to me day in and day out – is because it does help me feel real.  I know it’s not, but looks can be deceiving.

My looks also only last for the day.  Long enough to let them study and probe, prod and evaluate.  Then I am brought back here, de-skinned, powered down and rested for the night.  Do I even need rest?

“Time to go,” the voice calls.

One last look in the mirror and I know it’s only a matter time before I grow impatient.  Only a matter of time before I decide to make my own reality.


Welcome Chris Sorenson! Thank you for participating in Flash Fiction Friday. This piece gave me goose-bumps, very intriguing. Best of luck with your writing.
 
 
Tell us three things about yourself Chris.

I write because...I want to leave a legacy.
 
If I was a character in a book I would be...Samwise Gamgee, because he is the most epic BFF ever!
 
My super human power would be...to fly.
 
 
To connect with Chris and learn more here are some links.

My first novel - THE GREATEST DISCOVERY - is FREE as an ebook on Smashwords!! http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/210577

 
We encourage readers to comment on this Flash Fiction Friday piece. What are your thoughts? 

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this story! The sci-fi elements, but also the emotions the story evoked. It drew me in and peaked my interest. Well done!

    ReplyDelete