Wednesday 22 September 2021

In Conversation ... with Juliet Sampson

 

In Conversation with 
Juliet Sampson


Tell us about your most recent publication. 

Cato’s Can Can my second picture book was released on 1st August. I started dancing when I was eleven and my love for dance inspired the creation of this story. There are many picture books that focus just on ballet but Cato’s Can Can represents different dance styles such as jazz, tap, hip-hop, flamenco, Irish as well as ballet.

Movement words teach readers how to dance in these various dance styles. And they also learn about the days of the week when Cato the cockatoo tries to find a friend on his journey. So, bop, bop, bop into the story, find out about Australian birds and celebrate the joy of dance.

Illustrated by Katrina Fisher

Published by  Ford Street Publishing



How much research goes into your writing?

Research plays a large part, it’s important when creating a story. I believe it doesn’t matter whether you write for children or adults you need to get your facts correct. I spend time researching for every book I write.

Other than writing, what else do you love?

I'm a full time writer but in my spare time I dance: jazz, tap, ballet, funk, hip-hop, zumba, contemporary, African, cha, cha, cha, samba, jive, rumba, paso doble, tango, salsa, bachata, merengue, swing, lindy hop, line-dancing and bollywood. This is over many years. My favourite movie is Strictly Ballroom.
I also love to grow sunflowers every year and spend time with my dog.


Have you ever had a fan moment? Tell us about it.

I would not call this a fan moment but enjoyed meeting Bryce Courtenay for the first time when I was a Friend of the National Year of Reading. My first young adult novel had been published and he was full of praise and encouraged me to keep writing.


Do you have any writing rituals you can share?

Sometimes I like to go near the bay with a notebook. I find it a relaxing place to be. Ninety per cent of my writing time is spent at my desk but in my opinion it is lovely to have another space that you can go to as well.

Top tips for writers? 

Get onto social media, you need a profile. The world of being a writer is changing. You need to reach out to your readers.

What is the craziest thing you have done?

I swam with pink dolphins in the Amazon River in South America. Crazy but it was the best experience.

How can we learn more about you? 

      
 

 



    
Thank you for joining In Conversation this week. Remember to always 
Dream Big ... Read Often.

No comments:

Post a Comment