Wednesday 27 January 2021

In Conversation ... with Teena Raffa-Mulligan

 

In Conversation with 
Teena Raffa-Mulligan – Children’s Author



Tell us about your most recent publication. 

You Can Be A Writer is a picture book for 5-7 year-olds based around one of my most popular author visit sessions. It offers a simple step-by-step process for young readers to become writers and delivers the inspirational message that anyone with a story to tell can be a writer. Here’s the back cover blurb:

Writing stories is like having an adventure. Imagination is your passport.

It can take you anywhere. Start with an idea...choose your characters...decide where they live and when their story takes place...think about what could happen to them.

Follow the simple instructions in this book and write your own story to share.


The book is available in soft cover format from the publisher at 

sea-song@bigpond.com or click the book links to buy from Amazon or Booktopia.


How did you get published?

Persistence! I knew from my early years in primary school that I wanted to be a writer and I began submitting short fiction, poetry and articles to journals and magazines in my late teens and early twenties, without success. After my son was born, I realised I wanted to write for children but it took me ten more years of rejection before my 27th PB manuscript became my first published children’s book. Along the way I did have short stories and poems published in magazines, and lots of encouragement from the publishers who said no to my book manuscripts, so that gave me enough of an incentive to believe my author dream could come true. Of course, throughout all the years of rejection, I kept learning and developing my craft. I am still learning!

What is the hardest aspect of being a writer?

Finding publishers! Aside from that, which is always a challenge, I have a hard time completing novels. The level of focus required to sustain a long-term project doesn’t come naturally to me as I’m a bit of a butterfly and there are so many bright shiny new ideas and creative interests to attract my attention. It’s easier for me to complete something short, then flit on to the next project.


Top tips for writers?

Write in the way that feels right for you. Measuring yourself against how or what others write is a waste of creative energy. Explore where your writing takes you and enjoy the journey. Most importantly, don’t give up on your dream. Persistence pays off.

Other than writing, what else do you love? 

Reading! One of my greatest pleasures is losing myself in a story… Taking our Labrador Chloe for slow meanders along the beach path near our home… Watching TV after I’ve ticked a few tasks off my ‘to do’ list. My favourite viewing is Scandinavian and UK series, period dramas, documentaries and nature shows… I’m also a wannabe artist and every so often I play around with paints and coloured pencils. My main subject is flowers. I also love sunshine, birdsong, flowers, and the ever-changing ocean. Nature never ceases to fill me with awe…and my wonderful family is positively awesome.

Have you ever had a fan moment? Tell us about it.

I enjoyed a long career in journalism before my retirement and meeting well-known people was part of the job. I’ve always been interested in learning about the person behind the public persona and it was wonderful to have the opportunity to ask questions I couldn’t have asked in a social situation. A back-stage chat with the late Billy Thorpe after a show stands out in my memory, as does an interview with Deborah Lee Furness when the cast and crew of the Australian movie Shame were filming on location in WA. More recently I briefly ‘met’ Sarah, Duchess of York via a Zoom introduction through my publisher Karen McDermott of Serenity Press, who publishes the Duchess Serenity Collection. I found the Duchess an absolute delight, warm-hearted, funny and 100 per cent authentic.

What writing resources would you recommend? 

I love Joshua Jones, the 10-year-old orphan who lives with his fruit loop of a gran in my MG novel The Seven Day Dragon, published by Serenity Press in 2017. Josh has a lively curiosity and a unique perspective on the world. In his words, “I want to know everything there is to know about everything there is.”

How can we learn more about you? 

You can keep up with Teena's updates by signing up HERE.

Or check our her social networks below!


  

  


Thank you for joining In Conversation this week. Remember to always 
Dream Big ... Read Often.

No comments:

Post a Comment