Thursday 8 November 2012

Naomi Rabinowitz

Today I welcome Naomi Rabinowitz and her novel Revenge of A Band Geek Gone Bad. Naomi's love for writing emerged when she was in the second grade and her poem, "The Four Seasons," won first prize in a local literary competition. She became interested in journalism in junior high when her English class was selected to write for Newsday's "Kidsday" column.
Revenge Of A Band Geek Gone Bad
Shy, overweight sophomore Melinda Rhodes thinks that her world is falling apart when she loses first chair flute in band to her nemesis -- the beautiful and popular, but nasty Kathy Meadows. Now doomed to sit second chair, Mel is ready to accept the fact that some people just aren't meant to shine.
Her luck changes when she catches the eye of Josh Kowalski, the rebellious trumpet prodigy and class clown. Josh has also been hurt by Kathy and persuades Melinda to team up with him so they can take Kathy down.

At first, the pair's pranks are harmless, and as they work together, Mel comes out of her shell. Even better, she finds herself falling for Josh and it appears as if he might feel the same way about her.
However, their schemes become more and more dangerous and Mel is surprised to discover her dark side. Just how far will she go to get what she wants -- and is Josh really worth the risk?


Excerpt of Revenge Of A Bank Geek Gone Bad.
 
Josh followed me into the hallway and fell into step beside me.  "How'd you like to get your seat back?" he asked.  Only he said it really quickly so it sounded more like "Howdylikegetaseatack?"

    "Huh?" 
    "How'd you like to get your seat back?" he said more slowly.  "How'd you like to knock Kathy back down to second chair —- or even lower than that?"

    I sighed and kept walking.  "I'm not really sure I'm the person you want."
    "The Hindemith Sonata," he blurted, snapping his fingers.  "That's what you played last year at the band recital.  It was very good."

    I stopped walking, surprised by the compliment.  "Thanks."
    "Kathy played a Mozart piece and wasn't nearly as good as you," he went on.  "I remember that, too.  That's how I know she shouldn't have beaten you today."

    I was beginning to understand why Josh was so popular; he had this way of making you feel at ease and like everything you say is important.  My initial nervousness at being around him washed away.  Yet I wasn't entirely convinced that this guy was on my side.  How could I trust someone who tormented Mr. Francis on almost a daily basis?
    He bit his lip and was quiet for a moment.  "Look, I have some issues with Kathy, too," he admitted.  "I asked her out this summer at a party we were both at.  And you know what she did?  She didn't just say no.  She spilled a large Coke on my head in front of everyone and then posted photos of me online.  Can you believe that?"

    I’d missed seeing these photos, but couldn't help laughing at the thought of him dripping with Coke, his ego shattered.  I covered my mouth so he couldn't see me, but he did.  "Yeah, yeah, it was hilarious," he said, rolling his eyes.  "She apparently had some boyfriend there with her who I didn't know about so she was mad at me for daring to approach her.  But she didn't have to be such a beyotch.”  He shook his head, obviously still pained by the memory.  "My point is, she messed with me and now she messed with you.  If we don’t stop her, she’ll do it to someone else."
    "I guess.  But to be fair, Kathy didn't really do anything today," I said.  "It was Mr. Francis who flipped out and I should probably be thankful that he didn't make me last chair."

    Josh's blue eyes narrowed.  "So you think Kathy's innocent in this?  Oh, please.  Who do you think snapped your spring out of place?
    "What?"  This hadn't even crossed my mind.  Could Kathy have done that to me?  No, there was no way.  The spring was really small and she would've had to have gotten really close to my instrument in order to do that.  "She didn't," I said.  "If she did, I would've felt it."

    Josh held up the wallet which I kept in my purse.  "You didn't feel me taking this.”
    I angrily snatched it out of his hand and stuffed it back into my bag.  I then realized I'd been so busy listening to Josh  that I'd missed my bus.  "Damn it!"  I muttered.

    "What?"  He held up his hands.  "I swear, I didn't take anything from your wallet!"
    "No, it's not that," I explained.  "I missed my bus."

    Josh smiled.  "Hey, no problem.  I can give you a ride."
    "Really?  It's no big deal.  I can just walk..."

    "Well, I don't think you can really walk in those jeans."
    He was right.  I didn't need everyone else to see my granny panties and I could be doing worse things than riding home with a hot guy.  "Okay, thanks."

    "But there's just one condition," he said, as we made our way to the parking lot.  "In exchange for this ride, you give me just one chance to help you get your seat back.  If it doesn't work or you don't like what I'm doing, I'll leave you alone."
    "I don't know..."

    "Oh, come on.  I gave you my jacket.  I'm giving you a ride home... it's the least you can do.  Do it for the guy who got a bucket of soda dumped over him?"
    I laughed despite myself.  "Okay, one chance."

    "Oh, good!"  he said, clapping his hands.  "Let's get ready to bring Kathy down."

To learn more about Naomi just follow the links!
 
FREE COMPETITION
Full prize pack open to US Only. International users will receive just an E-book. Click on the link to go to competition entry.
 
 

 
 

7 comments:

  1. Hope your tour is going good. Just shared this.

    Rebecca - Pit Crew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for hosting Naomi :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! Going on my TBR list:)Good luck!

    Michelle

    Pit Crew

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for dropping by Rebecca & BK :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sounds great doesn't it!. Thanks for visitng Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this book :)

    http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2012/11/book-revenge-of-band-geek-gone-bad-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teena,
      Thanks for commenting. I enjoyed reading your review. :)

      Delete