- Write whatever you feel like. Even better is to write what you're passionate about and means something to you. Don’t get bogged down with the details and plot as that will fall into place the more you write and your story unfolds.
- Read widely in the genre you’re interested in. Everyone says this and it is so true. But, it is important to stay true to your writing style. Don’t try and mimic someone else’s.
- Be informed about the writing world and the path to publication. Research the things you need to know about.
- Find the time to work on your writing. Everyone’s life is busy but you have to commit the time to see results. Try to arrange a schedule or a block of time that you can look forward to using to write.
- Enter competitions, especially the ones that offer feedback. It’s a great way to learn and develop your skills. I have entered many and learnt so much along the way. It's also how my first novel was selected for publication!
- Complete a professional writing course or attend some local workshops. There are some great online and correspondence courses available.
- Check out your local library for visiting authors. Listen to their experiences and the how they go about their writing. I guarantee you will pick up some useful tricks from these talks.
Here are some tips I have found valuable along my writing journey.